After ATD1 Backpack’s success, one of the most frequent requests I received was to complete ATD Supply offer with a smaller pack. If you want to read more about ATD2 Backpack's development process, head here.
Long story short, we've been thinking about ATD2 for years: intrigued by this challenge, we didn’t want to simply scale its bigger brother down. Even keeping expandability has a key feature, different size means different uses, different problems to solve, different settings to use the pack in. It had to be compact, conceived for fast uses, more commuter-friendly, more easily accessible, ideal for those short weekend trips (or longer ones, if you are minimalist enough), perfect for those who want (or have) to travel with a checked luggage and still need a compact, yet expandable, travel backpack to pair it with.
- Top quality materials and almost paranoid construction. We have zero report of an ATD2 that ever failed on his user.
All fabrics are laser-cut (this is almost unique in the bags industry) to prevent any risk of fraying.
Hidden or clean finished stitches protect both skin and thread from friction.
- Stretch parts are double layered to keep them snappy for decades.
Flexible volume adapts to any need and make the pack extremely versatile.
- The shape maximizes internal space while keeping load close to the back.
Expandable Roll top construction can be closed on sides or top depending on your needs. Stiffeners and one point closure with Fidlock® magnetic buckles help quick access.
Enough pockets to store your stuff, not enough to lose it.
Side stretch pockets conceal compression straps and fit water bottles, tripods and foldable umbrellas
U-shaped zipper on back panel allows for top, side and clamshell opening.
- Top, sides and bottom handles.
- less stitches on liner construction to maximize rain resistance.
- Stretch sleeves keep laptops up to 15 inches suspended from the bottom.
- Main compartment has no access on front or sides for peace of mind in crowded areas.
Front compartment has its own volume and effective organization (key leash, pen slots and two pockets).
Compression straps for volume flexibility and to carry additional gear.
- Removable, Lightweight Curv® (self-reinforced polypropylene) frame sheet.
- Removable ambidextrous sternum strap and hip belt
- Compatible with rolling luggages handles
Inner Loops to hang any pouch with PALS.
Paracord zippers pulls help access and reduce noise.
- OneWrap Velcro® removable strips for webbing management.
PALS on bottom for a Bike light or pouch.
Loops on the inside to hang an ASP Sling Pouch, an AFP Flat Pouch, or any pouch with PALS.
Full size padded belt available as an add-on.
- Designed, developed and made in Italy
Materials and Specs
- Fabric: Challenge Sailcloth Ecopak® EPLX600. 600d waterproof laminated, made out of 100% post consumer recycled Polyester.
- Lining: Challenge Sailcloth RBC®200. PU coated, 200d plain wave recycled polyester with environmentally friendly C0 DWR on the outside.
- Webbing: Mil-spec 1’ nylon webbing.
- Zippers: YKK 10mm zipper.
- Padding: 10mm, closed cell Evazote 50 foam.
- Hardware: Duraflex and 2M nylon parts + Fidlock® V Buckle + Aluminium hooks
- Frame sheet: Propex Curv® (self-reinforced polypropylene fiber)
- Measurements: 45/65-cm x 25cm x 19cm max - 17.7/-25.5in x 9.8in x 7.5in max
- Volume: roughly 18-31 L / 1098 - 1892 Cubic Inches
- Weight: 1,3 kg - 2,86 lbs
- Designed, developed and entirely made in Italy
Rome wasn't built in a day, nor is your pack's fit. ATD2's laminated fabric is structured and quite stiff: we used it on shoulder straps too, avoiding low abrasion resistant areas on them, so they need some time and use to stretch and conform to your body. Plus, Curv® frame sheet is straight when new but will shape on your back with regular use, thanks to your body heat.
At the beginning, the pack may feel rigid and shoulder straps stiff, just load the pack, tighten shoulder straps and use it daily to have it formed to your body like a good pair of jeans or a leather jacket: good, durable things take time.
Pre-Production samples of the ATD2 were tested and reviewed by The Perfect Pack, Bo Ismono and UrbanCred
Clean your pack with mild detergent and line dry it avoiding direct sunlight. Don’t use fabric softeners or bleach, don’t machine wash or tumble dry it. Outer DWR treatment wears off over time but it is easily restorable with spray coatings for outdoor gear.
Bundle: Buy one of these packs and get a second one, or an ATD1, with 25% discount!
Pictures are from a pre-production model, minor changes occur in final product